There are an infinite number of things that I love about film photography but one of its major attributes has to be the community surrounding it. No-one quite enthuses about photography like a film photographer, and no-one has quite had my back like the film photography community. Everyone is so supportive of one another and I’m always finding lovely things in my postbox from film people across the pond. On the run up to Polaroid week I was really lucky to be sent two packs of Time Zero film from the lovely Andy at the Impossible Factory. I’ve spent lots of money on Ebay over the years bidding on and winning packs of expired Polaroid film with the majority turning out to be dry and rusty. I’ve had better luck with Pack film in that regard. So it was such a joy to shoot a working pack of a film type that I’ve long admired other photographers images of, and to be able to share some of them during Polaroid Week was doubly nice! 🙂
Luckily, Faye and I caught a rare sunny day to shoot because sunshine apparently really helps pick out the flame effect in the film. The sky that day was incredibly blue as you can see in the first shot, and we had a lot of fun seeking out our usual Sheffield haunts to set up film-like scenes. Unfortunately the weather has been apocalyptic since then and so I found myself at home last week with my newly acquired cable release (thank you, Andy) setting up some self-portraits. I’d had the second pack of film sitting in my SX-70 for a few days whilst I waited for even a pinch of nice weather, but I also didn’t want to leave the film in there too long and risk wasting it. It was soaking wet, and when one shot ejected I actually got splashed in the face with emulsion – most of it ending up my nose. Half of the first pack that I’d shot with Faye came out completely muddy, so I wasn’t holding out a lot of hope for my endeavours with the second pack. Fortunately it faired better than the first pack, and whilst some of the shots had large parts missing, I did manage to capture a bunch of close-up portraits with really sharp detailing.
Some of these self-portraits I then made Polaroid transfers out of too. Usually I would have made emulsion lifts but the film was still so wet and wouldn’t perform in a way amenable to that process. Using a paintbrush to wash the white residue off the film is how I created the scratching effect. I can be very heavy handed so I was careful not to overdue that.
I wish that I’d been able to venture outdoors with my self-portraits on the film, but I’m still very happy to have even gotten one shot that I liked! Thanks again to Andy for sending me this wonderful film and for also remedying my cable release issue. My previous one broke (as I mentioned in a previous blog) and so I’d been feeling a wee bit like a bird with a broken wing since then. Now I can get back to bombarding my various social media feeds with my SX-70 self-portrait adventures. 🙂